drop user fails due to REVOKE?

  • From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:22:53 -0400

Hi all.  I'm noticing some behavior in 10.1.0.4 that seems odd.

I have a user A who has been directly granted EXECUTE on DBMS_LOCK and UTL_TCP.

Attempts to DROP USER A CASCADE frequently succeed in dropping all of
the user's objects, but fail (after the default 5-minute timeout
period) to drop the user itself, reporting "timeout waiting to lock
object SYS.DBMS_LOCK" (or SYS.UTL_TCP).

Now, I understand that grants and revokes must lock the object, and
will time out in this manner if the object is in use by another
session.  I don't recall seeing this, though, in previous versions.  I
wonder if there's an explicit REVOKE on the DROP USER, or if it's just
the recursive SQL to do the revoke.  Does any of this ring a bell,
i.e., is this the expected behavior even pre-10g?  Is there a
workaround?

Thanks,

--
Paul Baumgartel