differences in v$OSSSTAT based on OS

  • From: "Milen Kulev" <makulev@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:42:28 +0200

Hello Listers,
I have noticed that v$OSSSTAT is giving me very different set od statistics
depending on the OS where it is issued  (HPUX 11.11 und Suse Linux 9.3  in this
case):
The results :
1) On Linux
  select * from V$osstat ;

STAT_NAME                                                             VALUE
OSSTAT_ID
---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
----------
NUM_CPUS                                                                 16
     0
IDLE_TIME                                                        1167934008
     1
BUSY_TIME                                                          79554670
     2
USER_TIME                                                          59414548
     3
SYS_TIME                                                           14861968
     4
IOWAIT_TIME                                                         2908619
     5
NICE_TIME                                                             17964
     6
RSRC_MGR_CPU_WAIT_TIME                                                    0
    14
LOAD                                                             3.44921875
    15
NUM_CPU_SOCKETS                                                           4
    17
PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES                                              31821768
  1008

2) On HPUX
select * from V$osstat ;

STAT_NAME                                                             VALUE
OSSTAT_ID
---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
----------
NUM_CPUS                                                                 16
     0
IDLE_TIME                                                         779115767
     1
BUSY_TIME                                                          63454316
     2
USER_TIME                                                          40541593
     3
SYS_TIME                                                           22912723
     4
IOWAIT_TIME                                                        47127545
     5
AVG_IDLE_TIME                                                      48679516
     7
AVG_BUSY_TIME                                                       3950719
     8
AVG_USER_TIME                                                       2518658
     9
AVG_SYS_TIME                                                        1416836
    10
AVG_IOWAIT_TIME                                                     2930331
    11
OS_CPU_WAIT_TIME                                                 4.2290E+12
    13
RSRC_MGR_CPU_WAIT_TIME                                                    0
    14
LOAD                                                             .155273438
    15
PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES                                            6.8683E+10
  1008
VM_IN_BYTES                                                       939913216
  1009
VM_OUT_BYTES                                                              0
  1010

I am especially interested in  OS_CPU_WAIT_TIME and AVG_IOWAIT_TIME, but I don'
find them on Linux !
Is this an expected behavour or it is an configuration issue (both databases
are 10.2.0.2 and are smilarly configured).
The official documentation doesn't mention anything about OS dependencies:
http://youngcow.net/doc/oracle10g/server.102/b14237/dynviews_2010.htm#G2030321

Am I missing something ?
I would appreciate any further information, links, mail postings etc.

Kind Regards. Milen