Re: detect parallel queries that have been serialized

  • From: Randolf Geist <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:16:57 +0200

Jonathan,

as far as I know the PX_FLAGS column only contains three different infos:

trunc(px_flags / 2097152): The actual DOP (for the current DFO)
trunc(mod(px_flags/65536, 32)): the "PX Step ID" (1 or 2 for PX
operations of the plan, )
mod(px_flags, 65536): The "PX Step ARG" (Allows to identify the (other)
Table Queue involved in the operation)

The latter two are probably used by Real-Time SQL Monitoring to perform
some advanced analysis regarding skew, which is surprisingly part of the
"raw" XML generated by the "Active" version of the report, but not
processed by the "Flash" front-end and therefore only visible when
looking into the XML / HTML code generated.

The information you see in SQL Monitoring reports about downgrades etc.
are actually coming from V$SQL_MONITOR / V$SQL_PLAN_MONITOR (e.g.
V$SQL_MONITOR.PX_MAXDOP, PX_SERVERS_REQUESTED, PX_SERVERS_ALLOCATED
etc.) and are not extracted from ASH I believe.

So there is no easy way to tell "downgrades" purely from ASH I think -
but at least the information about the actual DOP can be very valuable.

Randolf