RE: desupport - end of an era

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:41:57 -0400

Barb,

    Why?  I started out on VMS MANY years ago,  VAX/VMS.  When DEC
died/was acquired by HP we all knew that the days were numbered for both
the VAX line and VMS as well.  So it's just a continuation of the
consolidation/elimination of platforms and operating systems that is
really driven by customer demand.  Don't forget that a year ago HP
stopped supporting the HP-3000 line of servers and the MPE operating
system.  Last Oracle release on MPE was 7.2. and that was a year before
HP announced the end of MPE.  That brought such a furor from HP-3000
professionals, some who had spent their entire career working on that
platform,  that one was worried if HP would survive.  And at one time
HP-UX was Oracle's preferred development platform, today it's most
likely Solaris, though they seem to release Linux versions very quickly
too.

    I remember one Oracle or IOUG article which stated that "DBA's
should be the agents of change".  Well here you are, your now an agent
of change.  BTW: We have A VMS server here, no support folks in
operations, and I can't wait till it hits the dumpster.  (Kept me up all
night Tuesday when it decided to fry a couple of CPU's.)

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Leader