RE: daylight saving -> global database

  • From: STEVE OLLIG <sollig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:10:52 -0600

Glen -=20

you don't mention the platform, but on unix you can slowly adjust the =
system
clock (forward or back) using date -a.  with this approach 1:30AM =
should
only happen once if that's the problem you need to avoid.  can't tell =
if
that's the concern or not.

this might be stating the obvious - but why not store the data using a
relative time that does not fluctuate strangely twice a year?  avoid =
the
problem.

that said - i once worked with an application where out of order =
timestamps
would have been disastrous.  the timestamps were localtime.  the =
solution
there was to shut the application down for a couple hours each fall to =
let
all the messed up time between 1am and 2am go by un-noticed ;)  AFAIK =
they
still do that.  apps like this do happen...