datafile size

  • From: "Daniel Garant" <dgarant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:01:37 -0500

Hi

Last week, while creating a new datafile for an expanding tablespace I
received the ORA-00059 (max number of db_file exceeded).  The DB is used
in a 24/24 env. So I can't easily plan a bounce to change my db_files
parameter from 151 to 250 for example.

Now, I'm wondering if the actual datafile size set by the previous DBA
on this DB, which is 4 Gb, is ok or if I could start increasing this
size to 8Gb for example.  I normally set my datafile size to be a
portion of the disk size so that I can easily move datafiles around if
needed.  But here, the disks are stripped on a big 900 Gb array.  So the
need to keep the datafile size down is not really relevant anymore.

This DB is approx. 600 Gb and growing of approx. 1 Gb every 2 weeks.

Here are my questions:

-          What would be the best max size for my datafiles?

-          What sizes are you guys using?

-          What should I take into consideration when deciding this?

Thx in advance

Daniel