Re: cursor sharing

  • From: "Ghassan Salem" <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:31:11 +0200

Well,
you better get the plan from v$sql_plan, as the explain plan does not do
bind-peeking (when you use the cursor_sharing=force setting). so the plan
given by explain can be different from what you have when you actually
execute the statement (depeding on bind values, whether this is the first
time you execute the statement or not , and the presence of histograms)

rgds

On 6/20/06, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <
genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No. I am using the following to get the explain plan:

select plan_table_output from
table(dbms_xplan.display('PLAN_TABLE',null,'ALL')) (found it on metalink)

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             "goran
             bogdanovic"
             <goran00@xxxxxxxx                                          To
             m>                        genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc
             06/20/2006 04:20          oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                       Re: cursor sharing

Did you checked in v$sql_plan the real execution plan with CURSOR_SHARING_EXACT ?

genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
      Hi all:

      Can someone recommend a good article on the cursor sharing in Oracle
      9. I
      just found a query that runs in 5 seconds
       with CURSOR_SHARING_EXACT and in more than 1 hour without it
      (cursor_sharing is set to force on the DB level)

      I'm trying to find out why it happens.

      thank you

      Gene Gurevich

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l