create a second (physical) standby from an existing standby

  • From: Gerald Cunningham <gcunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:39:17 -0400

Hi all,
I need to create a second physical standby from an existing physical standby.
If anybody has the steps or could point me in the right direction (e.g.
Metalink doc), I would greatly appreciate it! And, would send a virtual beer
your way (...a good one, like a Stone IPA<http://www.stonebrewing.com/ipa/>).

- Environment is 11.2.0.3 Grid / ASM / 11.2.0.3 RAC db
- Primary is in data center A
- Existing Standby is in data center B
- New Standby will be in data center B
- Network from data center A to data center B is too slow to create the second
Standby from the Primary

What's the easiest way? Can I just rman/duplicate the existing Standby to the
new Standby, then set up Data Guard from the Primary to the second Standby? (I
think I can...)

Thanks very much!

Jerry