Re: cost of autoextend

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:47:35 +0000

Actually I'm not so sure that it does. There was a time for sure when it did
mean that, but both disk volumes and databases have expanded such that I've
seen more than a few people reach the capacity of there autoextend datafile
before they hit lun capacity. Something about the word unlimited fools them
I think.

On Mar 16, 2010 7:39 AM, "De DBA" <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Exactly my point: autoextend merely moves the focus of attention from
tablespace usage to filesystem usage. Snowing in or surf's up
notwithstanding, the responsible DBA must still keep an eye out for the
moment where space runs out. Same diff.

Cheers,
Tony

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l