Re: copy file to a remote server

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: epipko@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:40:07 +0100

Hi.

On Linux, Oracle doesn't care what the mount point is provided it has
permission to write to it, so UTL_FILE will work fine on any available mount
point.

Back in the WinNT days UTL file also working on mapped drives, but with the
move to Windows 2000 it stopped. I raised a TAR with Oracle support at the
time and was told this was now a "feature" brought about my a change
Microsoft had made in Windows 2000. I don't work on Windows much if I can
help it, so I don't know if it is still a "feature", but judging by what you
have said it still is. If this is the case you will never be able to access
a mapped drive directly using UTL_FILE.

Regarding "http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/ShellCommandsFromPLSQL.php";,
there are a few things to mention.

1) It is potentially very dangerous because it gives access to any OS
command/file that the Oracle software owner has access to. So don't use the
wildcard permissions I've used in the article.

2) The Oracle JVM has a limited scope to its permissions, in a similar way
to UTL_FILE. The fact someone has mentioned they don't have a problem on
Windows 2003 with it means it hasn't fallen foul of "mapped drives feature"
like UTL_FILE has, but it may not solve every problem you enocunter.

3) You could also consider using a specific file-handling API, like "
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/FileHandlingFromPLSQL.php";. This may
suffer the same fate as UTL_FILE on Windows since the JVM would not be
responsible for the file movement, rather than the shell, so its scoping may
come into play.

Cheers

Tim...