clean up orphan backup files?

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:20:46 -0600

We have a requirement to physically remove rman backup files that rman no
longer knows about.  We know what directory the files will be in, so I need
a script that will identify those files and delete them.  Two questions:
First, Will the rman 'catalog' command catalog rman files that dont belong
to the current database (I am pretty sure the answer is no to that, but I
haven't tried it).

Second, has anyone written a script that will compare file names that rman
knows about with the files in a directory?  The idea here is that after the
catalog command and the delete obsolete and delete unneeded backup, any
rman files that rman does not know about can be deleted.

--
Andrew W. Kerber