RE: checkpoint incomplete issue

  • From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'susan lam ' <susanzlam@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:26:35 -0600

Even though a logfile has been archived, it's contents still need to be
written to disk via a checkpoint before it can be used again. This insures
that instance recovery is possible (you would have to do media recovery
after shutdown abort in some cases if this was not so).

So, what is happening is that your disks are not keeping up with the
checkpoint volume. Until the checkpoints can complete, your database will
just stall, waiting.

Look at your disks and see if there is something you can do to spread the IO
around better. This can mean more disks, or perhaps just moving some
datafiles around. I don't know if you are sititng on a SAN or JBODS, but
this is the area that you are most likley going to need to address.

Cheers,

Robert

Robert G. Freeman
Management Consultant