Re: bfiles

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:14:24 -0600

Peter,

I worked with a system that is almost identical to what you are asking.
We encountered several problems.

1) The files contained data that the database used as search criteria.
However, the data in the files was not directly searchable, so the
publish process had to externally indentify the search terms, associate
files with them, index, etc. Not very flexible.
2) Recoverability was compromised as the data was stored inside and
outside the database. It was possible that the systems could get out of
sync.
3) Related to 2), the product side decided to request an HA
implementation with near-real-time change propogation. Again, the
internal/external locations of data caused problems.

My opinion is that this is not a good solution for dynamic, searchable
data without a lot of architectural work. I'd love to hear the lessons
from someone who has successfully implemented and supported this kind of
system.

Daniel