advice required on partioning

  • From: "John Dunn" <jdunn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:09:01 -0000

I have a table with a date field that lends itself to partitioning. However
this is not the field that is used in most queries, so I currently  have 2
indexes on other columns in the table.

I want to partition the table mainly to speed up deletes, which are done
based on values in date field. This allow me to drop a partition rather do a
normal delete.

Does it make sense to

1. Partition the table by the date column
2. Create a local partitioned index using that column
3. Create 2 other indexes on the 2 columns used for select statements.
Should these be non-partitioned or global partitioned?

John