Re: ZFS or UFS? Solaris 11 or better stay with Solaris 10?

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:22:08 +0200

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 08:21:22PM +1000, De DBA wrote:
> Thanks, Przemyslaw
>
> When I said that the system won't be able to be upgraded, I was not thinking
> of technical complications. Rather, the importance of this 24/7 database and
> the jitter factor associated with an upgrade project this size will encourage
> the management to sit it out as long as possible. Live Upgrade is not going
> to help there.. ;)
>
> We need to strike a balance  between two conflicting interests here:
>
> 1. Install the newest possible software, so that the system will have the
> longest possible period into the future of active vendor support

Until you find a bug (don't expect no bugs in a long periods). And the effort
to install fixes is almost the same as in upgrade to newer release. In both
cases you use LU ...

> 2. Deliver the most stable and robust solution possible so that the system
> will suffer as few hickups as possible.
>
> In this light ZFS sounded not like there was an overriding reason to use it,
> as we do not need any of the extra features that it offers. It is young and
> not necessarily stable, and therefore an unknown risk. In the meantime we
> have decided to give the older and better understood ASM a go (thanks Frits,
> for reminding me of it).
>
> You are right, Solaris 11 is also squeakingly new, just out of the
> shrinkwrap. But, if I understand correctly, its new features have had a good
> flogging in the wild through the OpenSolaris Project and Solaris 11 Express
> (which is now replaced by Sol11), have they not?  So the risk is smaller than
> it seems at first glance, and it stands to reason that Oracle/Sun will put
> more effort towards fixing OS bugs in this new OS, rather than old, trusty
> Sol10. Our project will include a good volume testing phase, which should
> expose serious flaws (if any) and the entire project will not end until the
> second half of this year. Based on previous experience, I would expect that
> Oracle/Sun release an update before that.. ;)

Well, because of OpenSolaris/Solaris 11 Express I believe that it is better
tested then any other OS which gets to the market. But I don't believe that
Solaris 11 + Oracle 11 is also so well tested ...
You don't want to use ZFS beacuse it is young. ZFS is much more mature then
Solaris 11 ... ;-) (just kidding but ...)
You insist on stability so Solaris 10 is IMHO better choice.

Regards
Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)
--
http://przemol.blogspot.com/