RE: Write cache for a SAN

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 00:13:34 -0500

So, having been on the vendor end of many large customer implementations while
I was at EMC, and seeing a couple of horrifying customer support situations,
here's my opinions on the subject:
- hardware fails like software - inexplicably, and at the least convenient time
- the people who get sent out to fix the problem will be commensurate with the
corporate perception of the difficulty of the problem
- people always make mistakes - every vendor will, and no one can tell you they
won't
- customers often explain the problem they think they're having without
sufficient detail

Hence, I often recommend:
- have engineering-level contacts at your vendors (before I worked at EMC and
was an EMC customer, I escalated to an engineering level to hear them say,
'What the f*** are you trying to do?  Why would you try to do that?" - (because
I had happened across an EMC-only config, and she assumed I was an employee)
- If a field engineer arrives onsite and you don't trust them, send them back.
Think of it like fishing - if they're not a legal size, you throw them back
- know more than they do - quiz support folks and field people - if you don't
trust them, find people who do and get them to help you.

I recommend this methodology for not just storage, but everything tech related.
 Make valuable relationships, and keep thm in your back pocket.  I have
customers who call me with Linux issues randomly because they know I'm not
going to make stuff up and will give an honest answer.

Matt