RE: Write cache for a SAN

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jkstill@xxxxxxxxx" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:29:10 -0500

Jared,

We actually suffered a "SANtastrophe" about three years ago, in a real life
circumstance that was quite similar to the one you describe.

The way the story was told to me, the SAN frame has a redundant power supply,
and one of the two power supplies went bad, and the unit phoned home.  EMC tech
shows up w/ replacement power supply in hand, a few hours later.  (This is the
way it's supposed to work, right?)  Well, apparently, he pulled the good power
supply, rather than the bad power supply....leaving the frame to come crashing
down w/ no power.....oops.....

36 hours, and about 2.5TB restored from tape later, and we were back in
business.

This really is the exception, though, and not the rule.  I don't think
disabling write caching is the right move.  Ultimately, at some point, you have
to have some faith in the hardware you've got and the people you work with.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.