Re: Why I don't like ASM

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:55:35 -0600

Here are some thoughts I'm throwing together (I haven't caught up on email
so some of these might be repetitious):

1. Oracle is dropping support for RAW devices (except for ASM)
Doc ID 357492.1
Doc ID 754305.1
*http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17642/deprecated.htm#UPGRD60120
<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17642/deprecated.htm#UPGRD60120>*

2.  ASM for a single instance is additional overhead and complexity
*however* migrations to new servers are easier I think.  ASM gives you some
flexibility there.

3.  ASM gives you the ability to do plaid striping - perhaps can be done
without the ASM layer not sure (again, typing this from memory)

Chris