RE: What's generating all these logs?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "eugene.pipko@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <eugene.pipko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:01:39 -0700

I agree, but would add that snapper may give you misleading info too, for
example it could show you that within the last 1 minute a certain session has
generated the most redo, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the same
session that generated 1GB per minute 5 minutes ago.  I certainly didn't mean
for the query I sent to be comprehensive or to be used for indiscriminate
termination of any rows returned - it was just meant to be a starting point.  I
figured that went without saying, but maybe I should've provided a disclaimer.
Another quick way to check the current stats would be to just repeat the same
query and check the deltas on the top sessions to confirm if they are still
rising quickly.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jeremiah Wilton

using Brandon's query against v$sesstat.  The one thing I will point out is
that the numbers from that query are cumulative from the date of instance
startup.  Using it, you could wrongly identify a long-lived session that
generates lots of redo, but very slowly over long periods of time.  That's why
the approach with Snapper is better.