RE: Weird database hanging

  • From: "Alvaro Jose Fernandez" <alvaro.fernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sunil.kanderi@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:28:48 +0200

I also had this long time ago. Had a tiny webapp doing in the order of
15-30 connections/sec (small rate, yes), but just to make some weird
checking for "select sysdate from dual".

Have talked to the developer, they checked out, and "magically" the
chatty
webapp calls disappeared. It was very useful to setup a trace to just
show
to the developer (really, she almost forgot about that tiny app) the
traffic they were generating and the listener log file size they were
inflating alone.

Have you checked the listener statistics for dropped connections? are
you using MTS?

>I have gone through all the responses to this problem and this seems
>very similar to a problem that I am seeing on one of my 9i database. We

>have lots of web applications running from that database and once in a
>while  there is a sudden spike in the number of connections from a
>Oracle user related to one of the web applications and the concurrent
>connections for that particular web application user jumps from 10 or
15
>concurrent connections to 100s in less than a couple of minutes. The
>database and the server hang until these connections are cleared. At
>times we cannot even get a connection to the server when this happens.
>usually don't see any alerts in the alert log when this happens.

Thanks,
Sunil.