Re: Weird connectivity problem.

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:01:23 +0100

Hi Alan,

even there is no entry in alert.log a heavy load might be thereason for these kind of problems: pmon registers the service at the listener using the method shown in LOCAL_LISTENER. This is an ordinary tcp connection. Under heavy load anyone might miss some timings, so the listener will guess the pmon disappeared. In fact it did not disappear, just had no chance to grab a CPU. Even I have never seen this situation in real live, I guess it's a valid explanation what happened.

hth,
 Martin

Am 30.01.2009 um 12:05 schrieb Guillermo Alan Bort:

Alert log was clean, just a few log switches. Apparently the node was
under a heavy load, but I doubt Oracle would break under pressure like
that. OS is windows and there were no traces generated during the
period.

It's a single instance configuration (No rac).

Thank you both.
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Associate

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Niall Litchfield
<niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd definitely be looking in the alert.log. As well as the other
remarks is this the default service for the db or a specifically
created one? The re-register seems very quick.

On 1/29/09, Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a 10g database (10.2) monitored through Grid Control. Every
once in a while we get a TNS timeout on the EM side, and at the same
time we get something like this in the listener log:

02-JAN-2009 21:04:45 * service_update * fcrsgx * 0
02-JAN-2009 21:08:30 * service_update * fcrsgx * 0
02-JAN-2009 21:08:30 * service_died * fcrsgx * 12547
TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
02-JAN-2009 21:08:42 * service_register * fcrsgx * 0
02-JAN-2009 21:08:54 * service_update * fcrsgx * 0

Now, this outage is noted by CT.

We are opening an SR with Oracle Support, but they work VERY slow, so
perhaps someone here has an insight into this problem.

Thanks all
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Associate

Niall Litchfield