Re: Warning(2653,58): PLW-07202: bind type would result in conversion away from column type

  • From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:51:15 +0100

Hi, Rob

Since the exception mentions binds, do you have a PL/SQL variable called
ddocname?
Or a PL/SQL record or object called shr_month with a member ddocname?
Or your SQL statement is within a function/procedure called shr_month with
a local variable called ddocname?
Or some other constellation so that some of what you think is a table
column in the SQL statement actually is a PL/SQL variable bound into the
statement?

Otherwise I can't see why you would get a PLW exception about binds?

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://www.kibeha.dk
kibeha@xxxxxxxxx
@kibeha <http://twitter.com/kibeha>

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM, <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm trying to understand this warning a little better.

- Warning(2653,58): PLW-07202: bind type would result in conversion
away from column type

When I look at the line kicking the warning it's a but confusing:

AND ddocname LIKE SUBSTR(shr_month.ddocname, 1, 14) || '%'

ddocname is defined as a varchar2(100) and substring will return a
string. What am I missing? Google has not been much help on this one.

-Rob

Robert P. Lockard Oracle ACEPresident Oraclewizard.com, Inc.
"When given the choice between two evils, I always take the one I have not
tried." Mae West
(cell) 571.276.4790
(office) 410.766.6960
(fax) 410.766.0332