WAS: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:09:56 -0700

There have been offline questions to me about the
possible troubles with using a volume manager to stripe
underlying RAID1+0 LUNS.  This following is a link to
the summary paper from a large test we did with IBM. The
full paper is in the Collaborate proceedings and also
available on our website (www.polyserve.com) under
literature.

This paper shows 80 spindles serving ~32,000
random 4KB xfers with 25% write to 8 nodes and
then the array topped out (description of why in the
paper). The file was in the CFS on a CVM volume
consisting of 4 underlying RAID1+0 LUNS. The
LUNS striped at 256KB (largest array supported) and
the volume manager striped at 256KB to start and
was switched to 1MB later for further testing. There
was really no difference.

http://www.polyserve.com/pdf/VMDB_BC_Summary_WP.pdf