Using Windows Extension/adding memory to Oracle

  • From: "J. Dex" <cemail_219@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:36:47 -0400

Anything to watch out for when implementing PAE/AWE and 3GB switch on Windows 2003 in order to give more memory to Oracle?

When I look under AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY, I do not see any settings for it. Does that mean it is the default value of 1GB?

I have a Windows 2003 Server with 8GB memory that has five 9.2.0.7 databases running on it. I want to extend the memory to take advantage of the 8GB. PAE is already turned on.

My understanding of how to do this is:
1. Add /3GB /PAE to boot.ini file
2. Make sure LocalSystem account has the privilege to Lock Pages in Memory and that the OracleService<SID> starts as LocalSystem account.
3. Set USE_INDIRECT_DATA_BUFFERS=TRUE in spfile of each instance.
4. Change DB_CACHE_SIZE to use DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS instead.