Re: Use of host command from scripted SQL)++

  • From: Phil Singer <psinger1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:32:02 -0500

David Moss wrote:
Mladen,

[snip]

As an example, one of the first things I tried was getting user input from the command line into a procedure. It took me about a whole day to realize people were actually right in that it cannot be done, reason being that the procedures get compiled and run in the server which is completely separated from any input mechanism.

Actually, assuming that all you want to do is pass parameters to a batch sql*plus script, this is fairly easy to do. Whether it should be done in a given circumstance is a different question, one which I do not have time to get into here.

Because I respect Mladen's posts so much, I want to point out that the circumstances can vary widely and unexpectedly. For example, where I work, the Powers That Be have decreed that DBI cannot be used. Cannot be installed anywhere. Too big a security risk. PHP cannot be used at all. DBMS_SQL is suspect, but can be used. Awk can be used as cryptically as desired. The c-shell can be used. My solutions are not going to be the same as yours.