Re: Upgrades with no downtime

  • From: Nigel Thomas <nigel.cl.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: valpis@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:14:16 +0000

Johan

What you describe is - not surprisingly -  rather like the 11gR2 new feature
(much anticipated in the past) "Edition Based
Redefinition<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10471/adfns_editions.htm#ADFNS020>
".

Sure, 11gR2 (apparently) makes it more simple/transparent for you... but you
should be able to do many of the same things for yourself if you follow the
same approach. You then get to choose just how complex the changeover period
gets to be (eg, might you have both old and new clients running in parallel
against old and new editions of the application).

Good luck!

Cheers Nigel

2009/10/27 Johan Eriksson <valpis@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi
>
> We had an discussion about how we could solve the problem with no
> downtime during upgrades
> <snip>

> My first thought is that we should split the logic and data in the
> database into different schemas, and let the logicschema has views
> that points to the physical storage of the data in another schema.

<snip>