Upgrade Oracle Clusterware, ASM, Database, Spatial 11g to 12c

  • From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:49:44 -0700

I am new to Oracle Clusterware, ASM, and Spatial. I have been tasked with
testing and writing the upgrade documentation to move from 11g (11.2.0.4)
to 12c (12.1.0.2). I've been on the job only 4 weeks so I'm not sure which
databases use Spatial yet. One of my steps is to identify patches that
need to be done to 11g prior to the upgrade and to 12c once I have it
installed. I believe I have everything for the Clusterware, ASM, and
database, but I'm not sure about the Spatial. When I search MOS for
patches, it comes back with 10 recommended patches for 11g. I noticed that
one of the patches is included in the PSU combo that I have identified. My
teammates have given me two different upgrade docs they used to go from
11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.4 and, of course, they are different. I'm getting a
little confused about the steps I need to do and in what order. I know
Oracle recommends upgrading the Clusterware/ASM first, but I can't seem to
find anything specific for upgrading/issues upgrading Spatial.

Questions:

1. How do I determine if everything for spatial is included in the combo
PSU?

2. Should I even be considering patching the 11.2.0.4 before upgrading or
is it a superfluous step?

3. Can someone point me to a good document on upgrading Spatial, gotchas,
etc.?

Thank you.

--
Sandy B.