Unexpected behavior if whenever oserror set

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:12:55 -0800

Greetings,

I'm running 9.2.0.8.0 EE on RHEL4 64-bit. Setting whenever oserror exit
generates the following behavior...

[oracle@critpinndev pinntest ~]$ sqlplus /
SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production on Tue Dec 9 13:05:55 2008
Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production

SQL> whenever oserror exit
SQL> connect oracle
Enter password:
O/S Message: No such file or directory
Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit
Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production

This does *not* fail on a 10.2.0.4.0 installation also running EE on RHEL4
64-bit and I don't know if this is due to a difference between 9i and 10g or
something else. I suspect it is something else. One difference I find is that
the environment variable OLDHOME is not set for the 9i server but setting it
does not resolve the problem. I have checked the files in the
$ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin directory and find no difference that I believe
would make a difference, each contains a glogin.sql. I haven't been able to
determine what the missing file is. Help resolving this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center