UTL_FILE and default file permissions.....

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:57:46 -0400

Hi all,

On my 10.2.0.3 RAC system, I'm running into a problem with default file
permissions for files created via UTL_FILE.

The problem is that the user's server process inherits the default umask of the
listener that spawns the server process.  The listener (I assume) inherits the
umask from the clusterware that starts the listener on node startup.  Finally,
the clusterware starts from /etc/init.d and inherits the default umask from (I
assume) the init daemon.  If I, as the Oracle user, logged in to a particular
node, bounce the listener explicitly, the problem goes away, cause I have
default umask of 022, which is what I want.  (Files that default to rw-r-r--).
But, listeners that are started by clusterware, either at boot, or explicitly
via srvctl, inherit a different umask value.

The question is, where can I set that umask  value?

Help?  I can't be the first one to have run into this...?

-Mark