RE: URGENT 8.1.7 recovery question

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:45:03 +0800

Chris,

If you need to recover the database until a specific point in time in the past
you must use the backup controlfile.  Your command would be
RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL ...
{if you're recovering upto a specific archivelog, you could specify UNTIL
that log file or just UNTIL CANCEL and issue a CANCEL command after
applying that last archivelog}.
Since that would be an Incomplete Recovery you must OPEN RESETLOGS.

If, however, you do have the current controlfiles AND the online redo log files
intact you can do a complete recovery (right upto the last transaction in
the online redo log)  using the _current_ controlfile.  Then your command would
be RECOVER DATABASE    {not with the "BACKUP CONTROLFILE",  not
with the "UNTIL..." syntax}.
That would be a Complete Recovery and you do not need to (should not have to)
OPEN RESETLOGS.

Hemant K Chitale
At 03:39 AM Tuesday, Bobak, Mark wrote:
You shouldn't replace the controlfile w/ a backup unless it's missing or corrupted.

--
Mark J. Bobak