RE: Tuning deadlocks

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <peterdixon001@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:46:56 -0700

What do you mean by "cope with"?  I believe Oracle's only way of coping with
deadlocks is to immediately terminate the transaction that detects the deadlock
condition and roll it back, allowing the other transaction to proceed.  I don't
know why this would be done any quicker in one database than another unless one
was just on a CPU-bound server so it was running more slowly in general.
Deadlocks are generally a problem with the application configuration - you
could look at the trace file created when it occurs to find the objects and SQL
statements involved, then fix the application to prevent them from recurring.