Trying to figure out how to do this via RMAN

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT)

SO here's the config
We're using Rman  on a variety of instances from Oracle 9 and  10.
I'm trying to achieve archivelog multiplexing yet make oracle backup only the
primary destination and forget that the secondary exists.

Case in point (please ignore any syntax type issues)
log_archive_dest_1= '/usr/local/archive/a' mandatory
log_archive_dest_2  ='/usr/local/archive/c' optional

rman
backup archivelog all delete input skip inaccessible;

First go backs up only primary destination (which is what i want)
Second go  since all primary destination archivelogs are deleted  will backup
the secondary destination(which is what i dont want)

i've tried variations like  not backed up 1 times and it still  backs up the
secondary destination in round 2 .I know i can achieve multiplexing outside of
Oracle by using a cp -p or hardlinking  but  i'm looking  for suggestions on if
this can be done via rman  and rman not backing up the  secondary destination
at all. Due business reasons we need a copy of the archivelogs available in
native format (not in rman backupset format) on tape and on disk for a short
period  while making sure that the database keeps functioning.
This behaviour is reproducible on all plaforms Sun,AIX and Linux and Oracle
9.2.0.8 to 10.2.0.3.