Re: getting users passwords in plain text

  • From: Joe Cooper <aregularjoe8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vincent verpoort <vincent.verpoort@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:53:48 -0700 (PDT)

Unless you temporarily alter the password policy.  It all depends on how
desperate you are to change the password.  I've been that desperate a couple of
times over the years!!

  Joe Cooper
  Senior Oracle DBA
  Austin, TX

Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Vincent,
     Password crypting is one-way: you can't decipher it. What is entered is
crypted, sent over to Oracle, and compared to the crypting of what was once
defined as "the good password". You cannot expect less from a company that has
communicated so much about being "unbreakable".
  A site you might want to visit is http://www.petefinnigan.com/
  Besides a brutal dictionary attack, there isn't much that can be done.
  Some people have suggesting changing the password and resetting it to it's
initial value. It's something I have much used in the past, but there is a
gotcha: if a password policy is set, you may be prevented from resetting a
recent password ...
  HTH
  Stephane Faroult

On Mar Oct 16 15:14 , "Vincent verpoort" sent:

  Hi Experts,

I have a question that's a bit unethical.

For a company i'm working for i need to find out what the passwords are of
oracle users. As changing them means a lot of work for allot of poeple.

Is there anyway i can clear text the password from dba database, i have sysdba
and all privs.

any points would be nice also i want to put this into script so if anyone has
something ?

--
                           Vincent Verpoort

              Communiceren is begrepen worden