Tracing Session / Connection Pooling / Oracle 9i

  • From: "Larry Elkins" <elkinsl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:00:05 -0600

Listers,

A bit of a theoretical question here -- I would like to test this myself but
don't have access to the needed components and am not quite clear how things
would work. Java app using connection pooling. Want to trace a user action.
The ability to turn 10046 tracing off/on would be included in the code, as
would calls to DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO to identify the session. Would the code
need to initiate tracing (and DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO) each time one of the
connections is grabbed? So let's say it drifts across 5 different
connections I would expect a trace file out of each of those shared
connections. Now what about turning off tracing? I'm just real unclear on
how/what would happen, don't have products to test this, and am curious what
others do.

I've read a lot the past couple of days but haven't come across
implementation details. Sure, I've seen things like redirect them to a
dedicated connection, use something like a logon trigger to trap things and
turn on tracing, etc. But let's say we want the tracing to be user initiated
(much like Oracle Apps provides).

Sorry for such a broad question -- I wish had access to the various
components to test and see for myself.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins