To set or not to set that is the question.

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:37:52 +0100

Well it is one question anyway. I have a second as well

The environment that I have inherited here we have some development linux
servers running RAC with multiple Oracle homes. Each home is owned by a
different os account. The storage is on ASM, again owned by a different os
account.  The folk here have installed Grid Control  10.1 and deployed the
management agent to yet another oracle home owned by yet another os account.
Grid control discovers the various databases as single instance databases
rather than as clustered databases. This is expected behaviour since the
discovery process uses $CRS_HOME/bin/cemutlo -n to discover if it is on a
cluster or not and CRS_HOME is not set for the os account that runs the
agent. So my questions are

1, is there a reason not to set CRS_HOME for the oracle software owners on
these boxes?
2, Is multiple accounts owning a single ORACLE_HOME each a normal setup? It
seems odd to me.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA