Re: The responsible

  • From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:35:02 -0400

> What works well with this version of the optimizer won't necessarily
> work well with a future version.

I didin't upgrade or touch anything it was on oracle 9.2, simply one
day the parameter necesaries to get used index in small t ables became
self-defeating.

> Incidentally, it's worth remembering with those two parameters that
> they're both settable at the session level.  So long as your app/tool
> supports it, if you've got a query that works best with radically
> different values for them than the rest of the app you can set them at
> session level before your query.

In small business ( 20 person or less ) dbas works is in other way.
The problem is in small application (or very small applications and
small subiness) you "don't have time", I must be developing all the
time, database work is saw as a prejudice (my boss saying why aren't
you develping, why are that database problem is taking too much time
to be solved?), so once you get a fix, you apply verify everything is
ok, and everything goes to normality again.

The idea is to get global solutions, changing parameters in a session
is not necessary, at least not in this point.