The dollar symbol in SQL script names and Unix

  • From: Tony Sequeira <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 19:57:57 +0100

Hi all,

Anyone have any issues with SQL script names in Unix (AIX specifically).

This is in relation to S. Feuerstein's fine PL/SQL error handling library Quest Error Manager:

http://www.toadworld.com/DOWNLOADS/Freeware/QuestErrorManagerFreeware/tabid/685/Default.aspx

I've been told that the install script qem$install.sql, has caused, and is liable to cause problems running in SQL*Plus (no here document involved in this case, a simple sqlplus and @scriptname).

First I've heard of it, anyone else?

I'm home now, but I'll have a bash at it on a Solaris 10 machine tomorrow, see if I can break it. ISTR recall that to use an environment variable in SQL*Plus, you have to use a here document. I've had a quick google, nothing has come to light.

Thing is, I've been asked to change the script names, so that none of them have a dollar symbol in them, never mind my protests.

Regards.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira
++