RE: Temporary segments in temporary tablespaces

  • From: "Kenneth Naim" <kennethnaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:00:33 -0400

Or make the code more efficient.

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 9:55 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Temporary segments in temporary tablespaces

From what i understand about Temp Tablespaces, the segments will fill up the
tablespace until it's full.  The status of those segments will change and
when new sorting needs to happen with the full tablespace, it will overwrite
the old segments that have non-active status.
If your temp tablespace is getting the unable to extend error, it's because
you ahve one query that's sorting so much, it's filling up the whole
tablespace all at one time and then some.
I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but if you are getting unable
to extend, then you have to make your temp tablespace bigger, period.

Lyall