Tablespace recover from RMAN cold backup.

  • From: Nisha Mohan <NishaMohan_A@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:43:34 +0000

Hi,
I am new to RMAN .Kindly help me with the following issue.
I have taken RMAN cold backup using following procedure.
$rman target /

RMAN> backup database;

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/oracle/ora10gr4/dbs/snapcf_DBTEST.f';
# default

After taking the above backup,I tried to delete a tablespace for recovering it
from RMAN backup as follows.

SQL> select count(*) from AMT;
  COUNT(*)
----------
       563

 SQL> select TABLESPACE_NAME from dba_tables where table_name='AMT';
TABLESPACE_NAME
------------------------------
AMT_1

SQL> select FILE_NAME from dba_data_files where
TABLESPACE_NAME='ACCT_DETAILS_3';
FILE_NAME
/data/DBTEST//DATA_FILES/AMT_1.dbf

SQL>  drop tablespace AMT_1 INCLUDING CONTENTS;
Tablespace dropped.

Now I tried to recover database as follows.

RMAN> alter database mount;
RMAN> set dbid&0103938;
RMAN> startup mount;
RMAN> restore database;

I could not see the datafile AMT_1.dbf in the datafile list shown by 'restore
database' command.

RMAN> restore tablespace AMT_1;

Starting restore at 20-AUG-12
using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: sid?3 devtype=DISK
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 08/20/2012 14:43:14
RMAN-20202: tablespace not found in the recovery catalog
RMAN-06019: could not translate tablespace name " AMT_1"

Kindly let me know what am I missing.

Thanks and Regards,
Nisha Mohan.A

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not
to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and
any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
taken
every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage
you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out
your
right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
e-mail
Infosys e-mail system.