Re: TOAD Access to other Schemas

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:19:34 -0600

Denise,

We had a situation at my last employer where developers, end-users, and
consultants all insisted they had to have DBA and/or SYSDBA privileges in
dev, test, and production.  Without discussing it with any DBAs, a manager
who was filling in while my boss was on vacation approved the requests and
had the sys admins put them in the unix dba group.  The manager also
neglected to tell any of the DBAs what he'd done.  Next thing you know we've
got databases crashing, tables changing without proper controls while the
application was running, tablespaces being added causing disk full issues,
etc. and no clue who was doing it.  The day production crashed because
someone made a really bad change and I was accused of making the change was
the day I found out about these people.  Since all other DBAs on the team
were at RMOUG, everyone assumed I was the one who made the change.  I
happened to be sleeping having just pulled 24-hour shift.  The downtime
caused an estimated loss of several hundred thousand dollars for our
customer.  Be very, very careful about granting SYSDBA or DBA privileges.
You can also be hurt by DBAs, but hopefully, you have good, dependable
people in those positions.  Granting those privileges to non-DBAs can be
painful and expensive.

Sandy