RE: System Statistics and the CBO

  • From: "Karen Morton" <Karen.Morton@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:09:13 -0500

If I really don't want to see the CPU cost stuff in explain plan output or if I
want the optimizer to ignore system stats, I've been playing around with
changing the _optimizer_cost_model parameter to IO vs. choose.  I'm still
trying to understand all the implications of how the optimizer "choose"s cpu
vs. io in its decision making but if you just want to see how the optimizer
acts with and without considering system stats, it's worth a test or two to set
the parameter to io and test the query and then set it to cpu (or choose) and
test again...then compare and see if you learn anything.  I know messing with
hidden parameters isn't your long term answer, but it may give you a good way
to test differences in behavior.

If the optimizer is reverting back to old IO costing model when mreadtim <
sreadtim, you should be able to confirm this if you influence the cost model
parameter.

Just a thought....

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.