Re: Standby Database performance

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kapilvaish1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:20:10 +0000

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM, kapil vaish <kapilvaish1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers, awesome team. Here are some answers to your
> questions .
> Manual means thru scripts only, this is not Dataguard . There is no issue in
> shipping time, we hae plenty archived logs available on the standby server to
> apply. The lag becomes 30-40 hours in 3-4 days and will continue to grow .
> This DR  is used for multiple purposes and we can not afford this much lag .
> This is 3 node RAC BTW.
> What we are trying to figure out is that if it is limitation of Oracle and it
> can not get any better or some other tunings can be checked. We are
> continously working with our storage/hw teams to take care of any contentions
> .

Hi,

Why you are not using DataGuard ? in that case you can use real time
apply and it can work better than applying archive logs.
From other side - did you ever try to check why standby is performing
poor ? you can use v$system/session_event and try to figure out where
Oracle is loosing time. It can be issue with applying logs but it can
be issue with DBWR doing checkpoint as well. I have seen case where
MRP was able to apply log in 20 s but checkpoint took 40 s.

regards,
--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com