RE: Spool To More than 1 File

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Lex de Haan" <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Eric.Buddelmeijer@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:46:21 -0500

I don't think the rule of 80/20 is the best way to determine which
features are added to software.  One item you should consider is the
level of difficulty. My guess is keeping track of multiple file handles
as opposed to a single one is not that that hard to implement. I think
you also find that once a feature is added that the % of people using it
may likely rise as they now see the benefits of the feature. Having the
ability to output to multiple files is a pretty basic requirement for
scripting. Sure I can use perl, php, shell what have you, but now it
makes a script harder to distribute.

Speaking of distribution of scripts I have some other ideas. One problem
I see is that 10,000 DBA's have all generated 100 scripts that 80% of
the time are doing the same thing. We are quite a disorganize bunch of
hooligans if you ask me. With the advent of RSS/XML it would be nice to
see some way of using metadata within a script so that it could be
indexed and distributed easily. This would be really cool if it could be
done within SQL*Plus. Something like CPAN. Basically SQL*Plus acts like
an RSS reader of sorts but instead it can search for new scripts,
download updates to existing libraries of scripts etc...

Anyone know of a XML format already available to define a script?