Re: San & single point of failure

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:46:05 -0800

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Good point made here by Michael!  If you've got at least one controlfile,
> you can bring up RMAN and restore/recover everything else, provided you
> didn't lose it because CONTROLFILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME was too narrow... ;-)
> For this reason, I tend to scatter backup controlfiles all over the place:
> on local file-systems, on NFS-mounted file-systems, "scp"d to other servers,
> etc.

Ditto that.  I put one on local storage if there are enough other mount
points.
Generally that's on small servers.

Re the controlfile_record_keep_time : this is one reason why it is good to
have
an RMAN repository. Personally, I never delete backups from the repository.
Deleting data from RCAT is easy, putting it back is hard.

> Because, if you don't have any controlfiles at all, you're in for a painful
> SR with Oracle Support so that they can walk you through the method of
> restoring backed-up controlfiles using SQL*Plus and PL/SQL to call the
> DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE package procedures;  essentially reverse-engineering
> RMAN.  There used to be notes describing how to do this available on
> MetaLink, but they removed them; presumably due to the "reverse-engineering
> RMAN" aspect of things...

This can be alleviated by using autobackup for controlfiles and spfiles.
The process to recover them is fairly painless that way.

Jared Still