Re: San & single point of failure

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: QuijadJC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:30:20 -0700

What?  Why beware of that?  In some places I have been, this might be the *
good* stuff!  :-)   (And yes, I *do* subscribe to BAARF.)

What you *really* need to worry about is the situation where some idiot
gives you a  RAID-1 where the two mirrored volumes are at either end of the
*same disk*!  Not only is there no protection, but the performance is the
stuff of nightmares.

Sadly, many RAID vendors actually claim that RAID-5  (well, *their* RAID-5,
anyway) is just as good as RAID-1.  Or better.  And many storage
administrators will believe them.  Often there is nothing you can do about
this.

Happily, I have yet to encounter a storage vendor who claims that it is a *
good* idea to do RAID-1 with two slices of the same physical device.  But
every now and again, you may see a storage administrator do it.  Usually by
accident, I hope.  Thankfully, I have never encountered this one first hand,
but I've seen close.  :-)

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead