Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

  • From: William Robertson <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:45:25 +0000

You can have blank lines within PL/SQL blocks anyway, so SQLBLANKLINES isn't needed. Which reminds me, a thing that drives me crazy is when people place a "--" in every blank line of PL/SQL code for no obvious reason except to defeat vi/vim block navigation commands (curly bracket).

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but installation and release scripts for application code generally use SQL*Plus, and on a lot of sites it's the DBA who has to run them so it's worth DBAs being familiar with the tool.

For SQL*Plus on Windows (sqlplus.exe) I like to set the window title using "host title" (idea from Tanel Poder) rather than changing the SQL> prompt, as prompts more than three characters long mean multi-line queries won't line up.

Nuno Souto
30 December 2010 09:11

Thanks, very handy.
Does that work for SQL inside PL/SQL blocks?

Goulet, Richard
29 December 2010 13:13

Humm,  Looks like someone could use a review of the SQL*Plus command
reference:

SET SQLBL[ANKLINES] {ON | OFF}

This ends that problem.

Dick Goulet