Re: SQL*Net message to|from client

  • From: Steve Perry <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:59:35 -0500

Julian Dyke has a presentation logicalio.ppt.
there's a slide that shows the different ways to set the prefetch that Christian mentions.

Row Prefetching

Applies to
OCI             OCI_ATTR_PREFETCH_ROWS
Pro*C           Host Array
JDBC            setRowPrefetch ()
PL/SQL          BULK COLLECT
SQL*Plus        SET ARRAYSIZE

OCI default prefetch value is 1 (returns 2 rows per fetch)

On Aug 9, 2006, at 04:53 PM, Christian Antognini wrote:

Hi

I am working on Siebel application and have found few stuff are
working
slow and doing detailed traces with Waits shows that only wait events
are
SQL*Net message to client'
SQL*Net message from client'

You have only "SQL*Net message to/from client" probably because the needed data is already in the buffer cache.

The application is fetching only two rows at time (strangely enough the
first time 3...). Since the fetches are performed without any possible
user's "think time", you should increase the number of rows which are
fetched for each database call. I.e. you should increase the fetch size.

HTH
Chris

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l