RE: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) results in ERROR: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx" <sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:39:43 -0400

Bequeath (BEQ) protocol happens only when the client you're running is on the
same box as the database.
You must be logged in to the database server to utilize bequeath.

Normally, when you connect from a remote client, or even on the database server
when you specify a service name, i.e. user/password@mydb, you're connecting via
SQL*Net.  Your client program contacts a listener, the listener spawns a server
process on your behalf, and hands off the connection.

In the case of bequeath, the listener is out of the loop.  When you connect on
the local database server, without a service name, you're doing a bequeath
connection.  You directly start the server process, and the listener is not
involved in the connection.

Hope that helps,

-Mark