Re: Running "Stress" or "Load" tests

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:20:12 -0400

Hi,
Usually, to do a stress test is not do anything like a crazy it must
follow a goal, so it must be restricted to some rules always.

I think the stress you want is a stress test, using the usual work you
do daily, to be sure after you migrate, things works ok. So you must
do a plan for it.

The other stress, valid too, is to do any kind of queries, but this
implies optimizing.  And do you really need to optimize to reports to
run a year, when that hardly happens?

I would do two test,
1. a test to see everything works ok, doing the daily work. So a group
of user do the daily work.
2. a test to see if unusual work, works ok too.

But I would do it in differents times so you see test 1 is not slow
neither hang the database, and in 2 you expect this can be slow, but
it must not be too much.