Recovery deleting a tablespace

  • From: "Ramadoss, Karthik" <Karthik.Ramadoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:35:29 +0000

I was doing a what I thought was a straightforward refresh (manual - copy data
files and recover until cancel with archive logs) from a hot backup of a
Production database. Everything worked as expected but in the duplicate
database I found one tablespace was missing all the tables in it.

Further examination of alert log had this message:

Media Recovery Log /hosta/backups/hostb/732882786_1_prod_128668.arc
Recovery deleting file #8:'/hosta/data/data10.dbf' from controlfile.
Recovery deleting file #9:'/hosta/data/data11.dbf' from controlfile.
Recovery dropped tablespace 'DATA'.

Now, why would this happen? This tablespace is dropped and reloaded in the
source database. But at the SCN time of the archive logs used, the source
database had this tablespace. Could someone please theorize what could cause
this so I can watch out for it in the future?

Thanks,
Karthik